Job Duties of a Psychologist
Specific job duties of psychologists vary depending upon the concentration they have opted for. But generally, their duties revolve around identifying and treating a range of mental illnesses.
Requirements to Become a Psychologist in New York
A long list of requirements has to be met before you can practice as a licensed psychologist in New York. The details are listed below:
- Education Requirements
- Training Requirements
- Certification and Licensing Requirements
Steps Involved in Becoming a Psychologist in New York
The following stages must be completed:
- Obtain a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Psychology
- Enroll in a Doctorate Program
- Fulfill Training Requirements
- University approved doctoral level internship, practicum, applied research, or field experience. However this research experience should not be related to your thesis or dissertation requirement;
- Teaching psychology, as a college or university faculty member, provided it meets the criteria for supervised experience
- Obtain a State License
- Should possess a good moral character
- Should be at least 21 years old
- Must hold a doctoral degree in Psychology and should meet the Child Abuse Identification Reporting criteria
- Should have 2 years of full-time supervised work experience
After meeting these requirements, you will have to file an application with the New York State Office of the Professions. You will have to attach all required supporting documents and will be required to pay a licensure fee. If the Office approves your application and deems you eligible for a license, they will send a notice to the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB). ASPPB will then send you an email and ask you to register online for the Examination of Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). In order to obtain your license, you must achieve a converted score of 75 or above in this exam.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has reported that the annual mean wage of Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychologists in New York was $94,140 in 2018, which was much higher than the national average of $85,340.